Go back to normal view
The church of St Mary's in Hollingworth was opened in May 1864. Catherine Page, the vicar of Christ Church Tintwistle's wife, took on the responsiblity. She collected a shilling a week from each villager and raised £1,500 of the £1,750 needed. Because of this St Mary's is locally known as 'The Shilling Church'.
CELEBRATION WEEK 17TH MAY - 25TH MAY 2014
On Saturday 17th May there was a barbecue for the village in the church grounds. The weather was glorious. The children enjoyed the bouncy castle and everyone enjoyed the food. There were stalls selling plants and all manner of things.
SONGS OF PRAISE
On Sunday 18th May there was a special service in the evening. Members of the community had voted for their ten favourite hymns and these were enjoyed at the service, to the accompaniment of the organ. This first pipe organ was installed in 1865 and cost £205. In 2006-2007 the organ was rebuilt, thanks to the generosity of Gordon Hardman and many others.
Also at this service there was a presentation to Richard Law, our vicar who is leaving, and his wife Gillian. We will be sad to see them go but wish them all the best in their new ministry in Clay Cross Derbyshire
From Monday 19th May to Sunday 25th May there was a beautiful flower festival and display of artefacts and community links to St Mary's. The church was open to the community every day and refreshments were served, including strawberries and cream!
Martin and Frances, two of our church musicians, played music each day.
A time capsule was filled with things relating to St Mary's in the present day which will be sealed and re-opened in fifty years time at the Bi-ennial celebrations. That would be interesting!
On Saturday there was a fantastic musical interlude by the handbell ringers, which was beautiful.
CELEBRATION SERVICE WITH THE BISHOP OF CHESTER
On Sunday 25th of May there was a Celebration Service with the Bishop of Chester. There were quite a few local dignitaries including the Mayor and Mayoress of Tameside. Also present were local clergy from various churches and our previous vicar and his wife, Rob and Mariion Watts, with Marion's guide dog.
The Kingdom Puppets gave a special performance of worship songs and sketches, which were much enjoyed by the young and the young at heart.
After the service there was a faith tea which was enjoyed by Bishop Peter and all those present. Many thanks to those who donated food and helped to serve.
It was Richard's last service as our vicar and so it was a very special service.
VERY SPECIAL THANKS GO TO DOROTHY CRUTCHLEY AND HER TEAM WHO ARRANGED AND ORGANISED EVERYTHING. WELL DONE ALL OF YOU!!